As soon as teeth erupt in a child’s mouth, bacteria become normal inhabitants. Bacteria feed on the substrate in the form of milk or a regular diet and produce acid that degenerate the tooth and form cavities. At this point, simply the tooth is then said to be rotting.
What should you do if you notice that your child’s teeth are rotting?
- Contact your pediatric dentist.
- Do relevant x-rays to get proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Based on x-rays and clinical exam, the pediatric dentist will guide you with the treatment needs which can range from fillings to root canal treatments.
What Can You do to Avoid this?
- Use toothpaste with fluoride twice daily.
- Avoid nighttime feeding
- Visit the dentist after the first tooth has erupted and continue to visit regularly every six months to check the development.
- Talk to your dentist and get proper guidance on how to avoid tooth decay.
Smile Designer’s of North Wales offers dentistry for the whole family. If you have questions about your child’s dental health and hygiene, please contact us at (215) 699-0650